Pennsylvania State University implemented design renovations to the three-story masonry bearing wall structures totaling 100,000 square-feet began in 2004. The building serves many functions including classrooms, a fitness center, auditorium, cafeteria, tutoring and counseling.


  • Over 150-feet of First Floor masonry bearing walls were removed to open the floor plan. Structural renovations were implemented with the Contractor to
  • Connector between buildings was completely removed (except the elevator) and reconstructed to tie the two buildings together.
  • Sloping auditorium floor was in-filled to level to provide multipurpose use.

Sharon Hall, built in 1928, and Lecture Hall, built in 1899, were purchased by the University from the city of Sharon to serve as the campus’ administrative building, housing the offices of Admissions, Registrar, Finance, and Student Affairs. In addition to these offices, the building also serves as campus’ classrooms, faculty offices, and the student union. For several years, the campus’ bookstore and library were also a part of Sharon Hall. In the spring/summer of 2005, the renovation began and included a redesign of the Admissions and Student Affairs Offices; the Learning Resource Center; and the student computer facilities, labs and classrooms. Lecture Hall’s wood-framed attic area was reinforced to support an additional mechanical unit. The connector steel framing required sloping and bent beams to accommodate the floor elevation differences between the existing buildings. A subsequate project phase included the complete interior renovation of the auditorium including the leveling of the sloping floor, renovating the lobby and restrooms and implementing ADA requirements. A later phase included complete interior renovation of the auditorium, lobby and restrooms.

Main Entrance Between Sharon and Lecture Halls Cafeteria/Student Union Area Monumental Stair Within Connector Renovated Lecture Hall Entrance Connector  Transition With Sharon Hall

Click images to enlarge